Tuesday, December 22, 2009

homemade ornament attempt...and fail

Last night, not long before bedtime, I started a project that I shouldn't have started.  I saw these these cute and easy ornaments on One Pretty Thing.  Last year the boys made ornaments for their teachers (even though we do give a gift) for Christmas.  They made enough for each of their classmates and a few of the elective teachers (ex: music, gym, principal, secretary).  So, when I started the project, I thought it would be quick and easy.  Instead, it turned out to be a huge mess.  I don't know what went wrong.  Brickman wasn't in to it.  Braylon was flopping glue everywhere.  It just wasn't happening.  So, I tried a new plan.  I had some paper that I cut out into stars and painted gold.  I was going to mod podge a slip of paper on it that said merry christmas, then add some glitter.  The gold paint ran out, and I couldn't find the glitter.  What I found was glitter paint from a bottle that was almost empty.  Another flop.  By this time, I sent the boys to bed.  After they told me that it was a tradition to have ornaments for everyone (which apparently in their terms, a tradition qualifies as something that has been done once before), I told them that I would finish the project and have something for them in the morning.  So, I tried my third attempt.  I used some of the flopped stars and sewed cute red and green scrapbooking paper onto them then mod podged the merry christmas slip of paper onto that.  Success!  Except that it took so much longer than I expected.  Who knew that cutting out stars was so tedious?!  Especially when you're trying to make enough for two classrooms full of students plus all of the teachers and special people that they want to give stuff.  It didn't happen.  I needed close to 50 ornaments.  I made seven.  Not quite enough to go around.  So, I stayed up way too late getting nothing done, and I'm sure that I'll pay for it today in the form of a headache and being exhausted.  So, when the boys woke up (late, I might add, since I slept through the alarm), I had to tell them that I didn't get the ornaments finished.  Although they were slightly disappointed, I showed them the flopped messes, and they agreed that they didn't want to give those to their friends.  They were satisfied with giving just the normal gift to their classroom teachers.  Braylon did take one of the good ornaments to one of his classmates who will be moving over Christmas break.  I realize that there wasn't enough to go around to each individual, but I thought it was thoughtful of him to think of the boy who won't be coming back to the classroom.

On another note, since I was up all night, I caught up on some infomercials.  I haven't watched those in quite some time.  I've got to tell you, I'm totally addicted to them but that's another story.  I discovered that the new rage must be steam mops.  I saw three different infomercials for them, each a different type. I think I might need one.

No comments: