Wednesday, August 10, 2011

my new friend...the wonton wrapper...

Oh, how I crack myself up.  I talk in one post of how disappointed I am about not writing in my blog and how I'll do better.  Then the next post is seven months later.  I've totally redeemed myself...NOT!  (I'm a child of the 80s/90s, so I can still use that "not" like that, right?)


I won't waste the time trying to catch up.  A lot can happen in seven months time.  So, I'll just jump in as if I haven't been absent.


Here goes:


For those of you that know me, I am not a grand cook.  Often, people think that I'm lying about this, but I'm totally not.  Yes, my mother was an excellent cook and baker, but I did not inherit these genes.  I don't enjoy it, so why try to kindle a love for something that you know you don't?


However, having a home business, two growing boys, and a husband who works nonstop but loves to eat, it's a necessary evil, so I've been trying to find a database of go-to recipes that I can easily make.  One that I found, tried, and loved was from kevinandamanda.com (which has tons of recipes and free fonts, too, like the ones found in my header).  As soon as I saw the picture for mini lasagna cups, I knew I had to try them.  And let me tell you, it was a crowd pleaser!  That is, with the exception of my oldest son who is the pickiest eater in the world, but with a few alterations, I know he'll learn to love them, too.  Of course, to try and fool him into liking them, I called them cheesy sausage wontons.  I know he doesn't like lasagna, and I know he doesn't like hamburger, so I omitted those words.  All was well until his little brother said, "Hey, I thought you said something about having lasagna."  That's all it took to make him stop eating.








After filling up my muffin tins, I decided to experiment with the leftover wonton wrappers.  I had never used them before.  They are my new friend!  In my mini muffin pan, I put the remaining wrappers in the tin and added goodies.  In one group, I added peanut butter and chocolate syrup.  In another, we had butterscotch chips and chocolate syrup.  And the favorite of the night was peanut butter and blackberry jam.  YUM!  Why have I never used these little wonders before?  I can imagine so many possibilities!





How about you?  What do you put in your wonton wrappers?  And do you have a picky eater?  How are you able to please them?

No comments: