Thursday, January 7, 2010

my mom's cookbook

With the new year resolution of cooking six nights a week, I've been looking through lots of recipes.  On my menu right now are all things that I can make without really thinking about it, but I thought that my family might like to have a little bit of versatility rather than having the same dishes over and over again.  I've been looking on the internet, mostly at kraft foods or spark recipes.  I have tons of cookbooks, but I rarely go through them.  They just seem so overwhelming.  Because I really don't enjoy cooking, I don't like to spend much time in the kitchen.  I think that it's a matter of getting bored.  With that in mind, I'm a little weird when I look at recipes.  If there are any spices that I don't normally use, I skip it.  If it has any instructions like saute or anything like that, I skip it.  I just don't want to have to spend any time on food.  I love my slow cooker.  I like my casserole dishes.  I do not like using the stove top.  You may call me lazy, and that's okay.  I would just rather spend my time doing other things than cook.  I really have to be in the right mood to do it.  I'm trying, though.  I recently got my mom's cookbook, and I've been looking to it for inspiration.  I know that she was a great cook.  I can't say that I actually remember anything that she made (aside from my sixth birthday cake), but I've heard stories from so many people.  I sat down and flipped through the pages for a while last night.  At one point, I broke down in tears.  I just wish that I could have experienced moments with her in the kitchen.  Would I have actually enjoyed the cooking experience if it equated happy memories with my mom?  I saw the splashes on the pages by the recipes that I imagine she must have used more often.  I wanted so much to find recipes that had her handwriting by them with alterations to tweak it to her specifications.  With a quick flip through, I found none; however, there was one recipe card in her script.  It's been 25 years since she's been gone.  The things that I remember about her could be counted only on my fingers.  I wish that I had multiple memories.  I know that I am more fortunate than my younger sister who has no memories as she was only three when mom passed.  I know that the events that happened were part of God's plan, and I'm okay with that.  I just really miss her sometimes.  I wonder about the type of person that I would be if she were still here.  I wonder if I would still be the person that I am today or if the events of my life would pan out the same.  I truly believe that things happen for a reason, but I'm often jealous of people who have their moms.   I am so grateful for who she was and the legacy that she left.  I guess going through the cookbook brought up some emotions that I really wasn't expecting.  I'm so happy to have it.  I know that my sisters would have liked it as well, so I'm grateful that they let me keep it, despite me being the one who really doesn't like to cook.

No comments: