Thursday, February 18, 2010

a rude awakening...again

We had another rude awakening this morning.  Not quite as rude as the fire that appeared in our kitchen a couple of weeks ago.  Rather, it was a six year old in the bed, sitting up to tell us that he didn't think he could go to school today because...insert gagging noises here.  There's nothing like the risk of someone puking on you to wake you up in the morning.  I know...gross!  If you know my husband at all, you'll know that he has a very sensitive gag reflex.  I actually find humor in that fact; however, not at 6:45 in the morning when he's shoving our six year old who has been lying between us and is now gagging toward me.  Keep in mind that the closest way to the bathroom would be off his side of the bed, but that wasn't going to work for him.  Not at the risk of something coming from that gag on him.  Now, I apologize if this is a little too graphic.  I promise I won't get too descriptive.  I'm going to digress for just a moment.  One of the things that I dislike about our house is the carpet.  The 1970's shag carpet that covers the majority of our house.  Ugh!  With the knowledge of our flooring, you can imagine how much fun it is to clean up messes from it.  I would rather him have gotten sick on the bed than on the floor, but he had already been pushed off of the bed onto his feet.  Is he going to make it?  My quick thinking (I actually had quick thinking that early in the morning!) led me to grab a pillow.  That would be much easier to clean or even throw out if necessary.  I throw it into his hands and rush him into the bathroom.  Thank goodness he made it to the designated spot!  Wahoo!  No cleaning up for me.  I gave him instructions not to move out of the spot until I had the bucket ready.  When they're sick, I don't like to risk it, so I make them carry a bucket lined with multiple plastic shopping bags (that's my form of recycling) everywhere they go.  Since then, he's been from the couch watching television to the office playing on the computer.  At one point, he amused himself by making weird noises.  Does that sound like a sick child?  I don't think so, but I don't think he's learned to make himself sick just so he can stay home from school.  Although, I'm not sure that I would put it past him later on.  When his brother was sick a couple of days ago, it wasn't nearly as dramatic.  Thank goodness!  It's days like these that I'm thankful that I work from home.  Not only do I get to set my own hours, but I don't have to ask off because my kiddos are sick or rely on someone else to watch them at the risk of them catching what the kiddos have.  I certainly am blessed!

No comments: