Monday, February 22, 2010

reflection...

What started out to be a lazy Saturday actually became quite productive.  Sunday, however, was a different story.  Today, I'm setting out to be another day of getting things done.  Here lately, I've been taking a look at myself...at my life...at my goals and am trying to assess everything.  I'm in my thirties and am trying to determine what it is that I've accomplished so far and what it is that I'm meant to accomplish in the future.  I think that each of us can do so much more and make a stronger impact if we allow ourselves to let go and let God take control.  I tend to be one of those that has a problem relinquishing control, so this is a challenge for me.  I just listened this morning to a message by Joel Osteen on this subject, and it really hit me.  How often do I try to accomplish everything on my own?  Do I consult with God?  Couldn't I do so much more if I would take everything to him in prayer?  I'm always one to talk about everything.  I am truly an open book.  I always talk to my friends, but I tend to forget the greatest friend that I have...that we all have....Jesus.  Joseph Scriven wrote these words in 1855, and they are still significant today.

What a friend we have in Jesus, 


all our sins and griefs to bear! 

What a privilege to carry 
everything to God in prayer! 
O what peace we often forfeit, 
O what needless pain we bear, 
all because we do not carry 
everything to God in prayer.


If you can't tell, I'm doing a lot of reflecting today.  I'm trying to find that balance that I need.  I'm trying to fix things about myself that I know need some fixing, yet I know that if they are never fixed, I will still be happy.  I will just continue to do the best that I can.  I am a work in progress and will continue to work to be a better me each day.

My thing to make me a better me today...exercise.

I've sat in my chair and thought about exercising for quite some time.  I've thought about running.  I've thought about getting a treadmill, and then one of my boys tells me, "What's wrong with running outside?"  Great question!  Do I really need another piece of equipment that may or may not motivate me to do something?  The answer is no.  I have an ab circle, an ab lounge, the 10 minute trainer, among countless other things that have not motivated me regardless of the money that I've spent on them and the "guarantee" that I'm given on the informercial.  So, today, I did it.  I went outside and jogged.  Well, I walked and jogged.  I walked down to the mailbox and jogged back.  After the first jog back, I didn't know if I was up to it, so I walked three and jogged one.  I continued to do that until I had completed about a mile.  Not bad for the first day of exercising in quite some time.

I still have a goal of losing 40 pounds by September.  I need to lose some before I leave for Las Vegas over spring break, too.  I don't have the funds to buy a new wardrobe, and I'd hate to go with tight clothes, so I guess my only option is losing some weight.

Here's to a new and improved, staying motivated me!

No comments: