Saturday, March 13, 2010

not just a coincidence...

Do you ever have those times when you realize that something that happens is not just a coincidence?  I feel it often, but yesterday was one of those overwhelming moments that I knew that something bigger was going on.  The grandparents called to take us out to lunch, which is something that happens pretty often.  I don't always go because with as few options as we have in town, I get tired of eating out.  There are two places in town that I could probably eat at just about everyday.  One is the local Sandwich Shoppe and the other is Subway.  I obviously like sandwiches.  Since the grandparents suggested Subway, I was on board to go.  The boys were out of school for the beginning of their spring break, so it would be the whole family, and I always love those moments.  We pulled into Subway before the noon crowd hit and began to order our sandwiches.  Jerad and I stood in line as the door opened, and I turned to look.  I immediately recognized the man walking in from several months prior.  He wasn't a local man but a vagrant.


A little history on this...
Last year, either late summer or early fall, we saw the man in Subway.  Jerad and I had just sat down to eat with the boys when the man walked into the store.  He first sat down at a booth, taking a rest from the heat outside.  I saw him look up at the menu, then open up his velcro wallet and shake his head.  I knew there wasn't enough in his wallet to get him something to eat.  As he got up and walked to the restroom, I told Jerad that we needed to buy him lunch.  He tells me to go do it.  Of course, the problem is that I never carry cash, so I was depending upon him to provide the money for his lunch.  Jerad gave me what was in his pocket to buy him lunch.  The man had sat back down, and I asked if I could buy him lunch.  He was delighted, almost giddy.  He gladly took the money and made his way to the line for a footlong.  His entire demeanor changed, knowing that he was going to eat that day.  It changed me.  I left the restaurant and couldn't quit crying.  My heart ached for this man.  It made me realize how blessed I really am.  How little money Jerad and I may have had at times, we have never had to worry about whether or not we would eat or be able to feed our children that day.  Every time I tell the story, I still cry.


Back to present day...
This man walked in while we were in line.  I knew it wasn't just a coincidence that we were there at the exact same time that he walked in.  This time he had a duffel bag and a Bible.  I wondered about his journey.  Is he heading back through from months prior?  Has he been wondering for the past several months?  Part of me is relieved to see him, as I've been praying for him, not knowing if anyone has helped him through his journey.  I knew that he needed money to eat, and I have the same problem as before.  No cash on hand.  I looked at Jerad.  He knew what I was thinking, and he gave me a look that tells me no.  I persisted and got him to give me what little cash he had on hand to give to the man.  Yet, I felt so disappointed that I couldn't give him more.


This to me was no coincidence.  I put it in the category of a "Godcidence."  God puts us in the right place at the right time, whether we realize it or not.  We need to take advantage of the little things.  If you feel the urge to do something nice for someone, do it.  If you feel the urge to ask someone to church, do it.  Life is so much more than running from here to there and catching the latest episode of our favorite shows.  It is so important to listen to the still, small voice, and recognize that it's more than our conscience.  It's the voice of God.  I'm saying this to myself as much as anyone.  I often am talking too much and forget to listen.  That's my challenge for myself.  Listen to God's voice.

No comments: